Thursday, August 09, 2007

Introspection... Exposed

Although I haven't referenced it too often, I have been absolutely miserable at my place of employment for some time. A handful of people that know me well are acutely aware of this, and have been encouraging me to find a new job. I started out thinking about that, but the process somehow morphed into what the fuck do I want?

I don't know why I'm sharing this, except that feedback would be welcome and it's been in my head for too long.

So...
  • What do I like? Dogs; food; sports; music; books; computers; processes; writing; the English language; neat, orderly existence

  • What do I dislike? People (i.e. interpersonal interactions, answering the phone); bureaucracies, being the center of attention

  • What are my strengths? Explaining things in terms others can understand; spelling; proficiency with Word, familiarity with Excel; good vocabulary; supervisory experience; good work history of progressive responsibility; excellent attention to detail; typing 80 wpm; sense of humor; significant familiarity with disability rights, issues, and laws; supportive friends and partner; ambition; physical strength, relative good health; persistence; loyalty; sensitivity to others' perceptions

  • What are my weaknesses? Limited formal education; distractibility; procrastination; downright lazy at times; poor self-perception; low frustration-tolerance; stubborn; fear of being judged; hearing; some physical limitation due to back/shoulder pain; need for order; competitiveness; difficulty asking for help

  • What are my needs? A reasonable income; benefits; a shorter commute; a sane supervisor; stability; approval
So, there I am, exposed vocationally encapsulated. Thoughts welcome.

.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

been there, i understand some of what you are going through.

BUT you deserve sanity, and days that are not filled with the kind of craziness that a job that doesn't fit puts into your life.

my recent experience indicates that when the time is right, you make the moves you need to, and see what the universe shows you.

Deb Heller said...

Like Cris, I've been there, too. I got my resume together, and then started putting out "feelers" that I was looking for a change, and "if ya know of anything, let me know, eh?" Never did a formal search - but luckily enough someone found out I was interested in making a move, and now I love where I'm working, and the people I work with.

You deserve to be appreciated and not be in the grips of an insane supervisor. Keep that in mind and a good situation will find you and you it.

Hang in there!

mute said...

So, are you saying sitting around waiting to win the lottery is not an option?

Zoe said...

Boy your last few posts have hit a little close to home for me. I feel your pain, but unfortunately I don't have much insight to offer.

greymatters said...

That busy-brain introspection can sure be a bitch. I don't know that I have any great insights here or there, Wen.

I do know that loving what you do for a living is a VERY big deal -- I'm not a fully happy person when the working place sucks.

((((W))))

weese said...

do you like what you do now (sans the insane supervisor)?
can you get a similar job and a different place?
or are you looking for a complete career change?

Unknown said...

I'm pretty burnt out in this field, Weese (plus none of the other agencies in this area pay as well as my current employer). I'd like to start fresh, doing... something... different.

Anonymous said...

If pay is a big deal, figure out how much you can afford to lose. Can you afford to lose half? A third?

Consider that being miserable 5+ days a week is not worth the extra money. If you have to cut back on other things to compensate for a lower salary, can you? Would you?

If you have the funds, find a career counselor. Get your resume together. Enlist the help of several job hunters and get your ass to another job.

I imagine a career or resume counselor can help you accentuate your skills to the point where your formal education won't be such a stumbling block. You need to let that part go and realize the job experience you have is more important than a degree. You have to own that. Think it and believe it.

If you were sick you'd spend the money to go to the doctor. If you need new shoes, you'd spend the money for new shoes. You've spent money remodeling your house to get a better return on your house...

The money you spend to get yourself another job will be well worth it. It's an investment in your future and your sanity. Money well spent if you ask me.

Do some research and find someone who can help you. This can be an exercise in overcoming one of your weaknesses - procrastination.

~eb

SassyFemme said...

Not sure what to say, Wen, except that life is far too short to be someplace where you are unhappy. IMO, no matter how hard we try not to, our jobs almost always end up home with us. Miserable at work makes it hard to be happy at home.

Have you tried perusing job sites like Monster, Dice or Idealist, just to see what's there, and if anything strikes you?

weese said...

hmm, how about finding a new job for your supervisor :)

Bent Fabric said...

Unfortunately, I have no words of wisdom to impart. Hope you will accept a big hug from me instead.

{{{{{Wen}}}}}

sporksforall said...

Much of good advice here, so I won't blather on. Good for you for making this step, though.

One step at a time reminds me of one day at a time which reminds me of Mackenzie Phillips who is the daughter of one of the Mamas and the Papas, another of whom was Mama Cass, who didn't like her job all that much either. So, not to make light of your job sitch, or Mama Cass' untimely end, but get your résumé out there—and avoid ham sandwiches while doing so. :)

Teresa said...

When I search for writing/editing jobs—largely before I nabbed my current gig, but even now there are those days—the lion's share that are regularly available are technical-writing jobs: writing and proofing copy for brochures, press releases, Web sites, grant applications, etc., and most such open jobs, I've noticed, are in the health care and finance fields (often difficult positions to fill because they require specialized knowledge in the target field in addition to communication skills).

One wonders whether Wen might not be at home handling communications for a disability rights agency or nonprofit organization—something that would marshal her existing knowledge and talents in a more agreeable direction. It's my understanding that you already serve as interpreter for any number of language-challenged coworkers; this kind of position would simply formalize that task.

Anonymous said...

I read a article under the same title some time ago, but this articles quality is much, much better. How you do this?