Saturday, May 19, 2007

WWWD?

It started innocently enough. Given our recent success in other landscaping endeavors, today I wanted to tackle the sparse, weedy area of our back yard that was once referenced as "the wildlife habitat." When we purchased our home, it was in need of a little attention. Most of our attention has gone to the inside of the house, but we have done - or paid for - tree work, and we did remove the massive pile of branches and other debris that comprised the wildlife habitat. The area has lain untouched by anything other than the mower since that time. I soaked it pretty well with the hose last night to facilitate loosening the dirt to utilize this fine product:


Per the instructions, I needed to loosen a couple of inches of the "topsoil" (we'll use that term loosely, mmkay?) prior to applying the combination seed/fertilizer. A few moments into my task, I realized there was yet another layer of crap buried in the earth.

I shucked my gloves and went to consult with Suzanne about the options. We decided it would be best to do the job the right way, rather than half-assing it. We reasoned that, despite the apparent health of the existing weeds, grass might not grow as prolifically. We didn't want weeds in our new grass.

And, the penultimate decision-maker: What Would Weese Do?

WWWD*? Weese would do it right. And how could I, a young (enough), strong (enough), stubborn (hell yeah) lesbian with four sound extremities, not do WWWD (What Weese Would Do - nice how it works both ways, huh?).

So, documentation of my WWWD labors. Halfway, but not half-ass.


The excavation items today included screen, plastic sheeting, linoleum, candles, two steel rods, a plastic milk carton, several margarine-type plastic containers, plastic potting trays, paint rollers, and more. For the record, I'm not sure how I feel about global warming, but that shit about how plastic never deteriorates? Absolutely true.

If When I finish this particular project, I fully intend to engage in another WWWD ritual: cocktails.

*"WWWD" Copyright Syd, 2007. Used by permission.


13 comments:

LeLo said...

All that crap was in the ground?!?!? For chrissakes, be careful!

Syd said...

Holy shit! All that excavation and not a single valuable item?

Then again, I suppose these weren't the type of peeps that collected rare coins.

zuhn said...

You guys bought syd's old place? I didn't know that.

(I kid! Don't shoot me.)

DB said...

:::gasping at Zuhn:::

When we remodeled and added space to this old place we're in we pulled all kinds of bizarre things out of the ground. Old coke bottles, keys, kid's toys, a 3' long section of rebar that was folded over and looked like a hair pin, old clothesline, electrical cords, you name it, we had it.

Sounds like whoever lived at your place had similar habits.

Hope you get it cleaned up soon and get that grass planted.

mute said...

See, with my "habitat", I'm thinking of going with the "WWSD" approach-- burn it.

(I'd shoot it, but I'm a big pansy when it come to guns.)

Suzanne said...

lmao at zuhn

You do good work, Wen. :)

SassyFemme said...

Oh.my.God. I can't believe all that shit was there! I hate to say it, but if it were me, I would have half-assed it. Admire that you took the WWWD approach!

Trop said...

Is your house built on a landfill?

weese said...

Bravo, bravo!
You made the right choice. and of course there was always the possiblity of digging up some sort of buried treasures.

might I suggest...when you are done with your cocktail that you bury a ceremonial bottle out there.

let me know how the 'patch' stuff works out - i have never used that.

Middle Girl said...

impressive haul.

similar experiences in my own clay filled yard, though not nearly as impressive as the loot you scored.

there's always next saturday ;-)

Unknown said...

A cocktail sounds really nice right about now..

Anonymous said...

wen...it was a wildlife HABITAT.
they needed plastic for their little tents, screen for their little porches and milk for nourishment.....duh

Maria said...

Jaysus. That is a lot of um...stuff.

Worth at least a couple of martinis.

At least.

Maybe three or four.