Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Vision

Today's quote of note:

Don't borrow someone else's spectacles to view yourself with.
~Simon Travaglia (Who?)

Certainly I'm guilty of that. But the question begs: How does one view oneself?

My "glasses" are often quite smudged. Similar to "beer goggles", I recognize that what I "see" may look different in the morning, or next year... and certainly is different than what others see.

We are fluid, we homos homo sapiens. Our perceptions, thoughts, and ideals are naturally influenced by our environment. Whether a subtle shift in interpersonal dynamics, a less-than-satisfactory hair day, a major job change, or a war in another country, we constantly receive external feedback and new information. We sift the data, either consciously or unconsciously; the input may reinforce preconceived notions or challenge them.

Of course, there are some beliefs that are so ingrained they seem an intrinsic part of who we are. A "frame" for the glasses, so to speak. I find I'm quite comfortable with my personal framework.

Now, I just need to polish those lenses.

.

6 comments:

Trop said...

I just wish I could get rid of all the floaters in my eyes.

Lee said...

I have my beer goggles on and still can't see.

sporksforall said...

Dogs claim that seeing is overrated. How's your sense of smell?

Teresa said...

It was but the other day that some wise person—or maybe a character on a TV show—noted that throughout our lives we're never able to actually see ourselves, only our reflections. I had never thought of it that way before, but surely what I see in a mirror isn't what anyone else sees when they look directly at me. And I'm not even getting into societal notions of what I ought to look like; that's just entirely too messy.

Unknown said...

Someone once said that a person's opinion of you is none of your business. I couldn't agree more, even though it is hard sometimes to remember that.

KellyNerd said...

Hi... stumbled across your blog today, loved this quote, stole it! and love your comments to go with it... hope its okay, I referenced yours in mine today!

Hope you are having a good one.

NerdGirl