Friday, February 23, 2007

Hell

AKA: Sudden Inspiration

I just saw Patti LaBelle doing a PSA regarding diabetes. She referred to food as "the enemy".

THAT is MY version of Hell. I know millions of people live with the realities of diabetes. My grandfather suffered from adult-onset diabetes. A cousin has endured insulin shots since my earliest memories. I suppose, in those circumstances, I could learn to adjust my diet to better suit the needs of my misfiring pancreas...

But... to consider food... Food, food, glorious food... the enemy...

That would be Hell.

.

11 comments:

SassyFemme said...

That's screwed up. Fran's diabetic, my dad was diabetic. It's not that it's the enemy, it can be medicine, per se, if the right choices are made.

The Guy Who Writes This said...

Im am diabetic as well, and I learned to think before putting something in my mouth, and I am better for doing so. Also, it is so much easier now things are made with Splenda.

Zoe said...

I always think before putting something in my mouth, but that has little to do with food.

Food is a huge issue/obsession in our house. It's tough.

Trop said...

Food is my best friend...

Middle Girl said...

Not diabetic, but other issues are making me choosey. but fun can still be had.

yankeegirl said...

Ideally, I would like to just consider food the fuel that my body needs and eat accordingly. Unfortunately, I enjoy it too much to take such a utilitarian approach : )

KMae said...

I am borderline diabetic, have always controlled it by diet... Or tried to.

Food is DEFINATELY the enemy for me.
Only because I can't stop once I start..,
Seriously.

sporksforall said...

What if salt was the enemy? Hmm? What then?

Zanne said...

Speaking of food, thanks for the peanuts and candy--so thoughtful! Lovely meeting you! :D

Unknown said...

Food is good. Food is very good. Everything in moderation, right?

the determined dieter said...

I discovered I am lactose intolerant this year. Cereal with milk is the enemy. Cheese fondue is the enemy. Even sausage, because it contains some lactose, is the damn enemy.

Still, I think if I had to give up sugar it would be worse.