Sunday, December 02, 2007

The Best Damned Day

I don't do birthdays. Oh, I'm fine with celebrating the birthdays of others, just not my own. I don't care to have a lot of fuss; frankly, I hate being the center of attention. I don't drop hints to coworkers or friends when my birthday is approaching, I beg Suzanne not to sing to me... and, this year, I adamantly insisted that I not be the recipient of another blogosphere VaginArt celebration.

Against all odds, my friends both here at home and across the country respected my wish. Of even greater unlikelihood, I am acknowledging--publicly, willfully, gleefully--my birthday. From the handmade gifts that were a total surprise, to the Japanese Maple that now resides in Connecticut (simply waiting for me to claim it), the thoughtfulness of my dear friends demands more than a gracious receipt. They deserve celebration.

The hand-drawn card taped to a beer from my own fridge was pretty damned funny, too.


Thank you all for a wonderful day. :)
.

11 comments:

Suzanne said...

It was a fine day indeed, the whole weekend even. Thanks for letting us celebrate you. :)

*smooch*

SassyFemme said...

Happy Birthday!!!

weese said...

yay.
Happy Day!

mute said...

Cowgirl? HA!

My "gaggle" of friends wouldn't let me "not" have a birthday...Their words: "shut the fuck up-- you're getting cake & beer...deal with it."

Martin said...

I am thoroughly happy to have spent time with you on the day of your birth. I am glad you got yourself borned, and have not yet managed to get yourself dead.

Yippee!!!!

sporksforall said...

Very nice of you to acknowledge your birth and not resent others doing it. Could it be a sign of old age?!

Middle Girl said...

Well I'll be dipped in donuts and rolled in sprinkles... happy happy joy joy.

Jackie said...

For the record, missy, I *think* that beer was technically from the stash WE brought. It was only getting frosty delicious in your fridge. :) Happy birthday dear! Martin said it well, we are glad you are still alive! (and she totally gets credit for the cowgirl comment) :)

Zoe said...

To another year of "not yet 40."

Anonymous said...

If only it could have been a singing beer-gram!

Unknown said...

LOL Happy Belated Birthday Wannabe!!

I like saying that I'm 38 and holding....this year I celebrated my 8th go around of using that line...LOL!!!