Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Kinda Like Back Home...

... where, if one orders a "coke" at a restaurant, the inevitable question is, "What kind?". In small-town Southeast Texas, "coke" is synonymous with "soda" or "pop" to the rest of the country.

In Northern Virginia, or at least in MY household, I note a similar misusage:
Suzanne: Would you bring me a couple of those almond rocas on your way back?
Wen: How many is "a couple"?
Suzanne: Four.
To my knowledge, this largesse of coupling does not apply to sexual interactions.

***

Y'all have a couple of nice days this Thanksgiving. :)

.

5 comments:

eb said...

Not just small town, at least back in the day. When we arrived in Houston lo these many years ago, 'Coke' meant 'Sprite' or 'Mr. Pibb' or whatever 'soda water' was on tap.

I think to Suzanne, lo those many years ago, that largesse did apply.

Mwahahaha.

Middle Girl said...

My grandma used to ask for a "swalla" of water..and when I brought her a sip, she railed on me.. "gal, what I'm gonna do wit dat spit!?!"

More. Good.

sporksforall said...

In Atlanta, the "coke" thing is so widespread that a law firm got blackballed by many of the city's insiders because their break room had a Pepsi dispenser. "Coke" is a generic term that ONLY applies to products made by the Coca-Cola company where I'm from.

Happy bird day!

SassyFemme said...

Growing up in NH all variations of Coke (soda) were called tonic.

weese said...

when speaking of sweets - 'a couple' always means a handful.