Friday, January 26, 2007

There Ain't Enough Alcohol in the World

I heard a little news clip this evening that precipitated a web search for a "Burns Supper". Turns out there's a lot of information on the subject, so let me break down the salient points for you:
  • Scottish bar
  • Formal attire
  • Birthday of Robert Burns (1/25/1759)
  • Recitation of Burns' poetry
  • Dinner
  • Speech
  • Toast
  • Another speech
  • More poetry
  • Singing of Auld Lang Syne, holding hands no less
No offense to Mr. Burns or any poetry fans out there, but this is SO not my cup of tea... nae shot of whiskey. For those who might be tempted by such an event, however, there is one additional detail of note. The menu.

Haggis. If you don't know what it is, click at your own risk. I'm not inclined to detail it here.

You Scots are some sick, sick puppies brave, interesting people. As for me, I'll puke pass.

[Full scoop on the Burns Supper]

.

8 comments:

Syd said...

OMFG, you just had to play the Haggis card. The only thing remotely as disgusting is Lutefisk. But, uh...you win. [barf]

Nice one, Wen.

Anonymous said...

Haggis is fantastic? What's not to like? Offal rules!

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention the kilts, Wendy.

Anonymous said...

Burns and kilts I'm okay with, haggis on the other hand is enough to make me renounce my heritage ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow, very interesting indeed. I can't even pretend to understand anything I just read. LOL.

Anonymous said...

Long ago and far away, I've eaten a chitterling or two--but t h i s? The title says it all. yuck.

KMae said...

Hell, I don't even like bag pipes.

Bill Graber said...

Haggis? whats not to like about a sheep's stomach stuffed with sheep innards and boiled to the consistency of a steel belted radial?