Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Make Up

The English language often fascinates me. Take homynyms, for example - words that sound alike but have different meanings: brake, break; to, two, too; nose, knows; cast, caste; foul, fowl; bass, base. Sometimes they even sound alike and are spelled alike, but have different meanings: "bass" can be a musical term or a type of fish. And it doesn't help that pronunciation "rules" are so damned inconsistent. Why do "mood" and "food" sound differently than "good" and "wood"? Ditto "touch" and "couch", "work" and "dork", "forth" and "worth", "bear" and "gear". You get the idea. I'm sure you can think of your own examples. Feel free to share.

But I digress. My particular fascination this evening is with multiple definitions of a given word. For example, "cast" could be a noun representing the participants in a production, the plaster around a broken arm, or the mold form for reproducing an image; or a verb meaning "to throw" or to assign a person a role in a production (one could cast a cast). And probably some other definitions I'm too lazy to research. Anyhoo, my offering to you now is a two-word phrase: Make up.

Which of the following best resembles the first thought that came to your mind?
  1. I think make up is ridiculously expensive.
  2. I wish you would make up your mind.
  3. Joe has to take a make up exam due to his absence.
  4. I make up the bed every morning (not).
  5. I can make up a story.
  6. I want to make up with my friend.
  7. Ten years make up a decade.
One could argue that numbers 4 and 6 have similar meanings (to restore). Still, isn't it fascinating? Make up your mind already!

.

7 comments:

maxine said...

Make up sex is what came to mind, and even allowing for how CONtrary my wife can be, we don't have arguments that require make up sex. Sex sans make up would be the key. I suppose that means I disqualify my first answer and pick 1.

Cocktails make up half the agenda for our next vacation.

weese said...

wait...what! you don't make up the bed every morning.
o dear dear.
make up your mind to make up the bed so that you can have make up sex in a tidy environment.

Suzanne said...

weese, it would be hard for Wendy to make up the bed because on weekdays I'm still IN it as she makes her way to work.

I'm not making that up. But I do make up the bed.

weese said...

I am so pleased. :)

Middle Girl said...

Made up my mind to go home early and make up a batch of margaritas.

Teresa said...

To complicate matters, the product makeup or the adjective makeup can be styled solid, such that:

A makeup artist makes up her subject with makeup.

Also

Joe makes up his absence by taking a makeup exam.

English is fun!

WenWhit said...

Just so!