Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Superstars Superseding Sleep

I woke up a few nights ago and was unable to promptly return to sleep. As is the case at least 95% of the time, the television was still on because Suzanne likes to fall asleep watching "Law & Order" or the Food Network. I don't recall which choice she made that night, but at 3am the staple broadcasts of most cable networks are supplanted by "paid programming", otherwise known as infomercials. Typically, I have no problem ignoring "Set it and forget it!" rotisserie hawkers or whatever the newest miracle diet pill might be. On the night in question, however, the infomercial unequivocally commanded my attention. Kenny Rogers (now sporting a mustache and goatee rather than the beard of my youth) was hosting yet another Time Life collection of compact discs: Superstars of Country Music.

What a bargain: "the grandaddy of country-hits collections---150 of your all-time favorite songs from the '60s, '70s, and '80s!"** for a mere $119.96 (plus tax and shipping, of course). That's TEN discs, folks. All digitally remastered, I'm sure. Even Kenny looked impressed.

As a child, I was certainly influenced by my parents' taste in music. Hank Williams, Freddy Fender, the Statler Brothers, Elvis, the Carpenters, Anne Murray, Johnny Cash, Conway Twitty, the freaking Perry Como Singers... I wonder how many other folks my age know all the lyrics to Jim Reeves' "He'll Have to Go" or Johnny Horton's "North to Alaska"? Well, I do. (As an aside, growing up in a house where Ace Cannon and Boots Randolph 8-tracks were also common makes it not such a mystery that my brothers and I chose to play the saxophone, wouldn't you agree? Well, if you had ever heard of Ace or Boots, you would.)

That night, I watched - and thoroughly enjoyed - the entire infomercial. It was truly a walk down memory lane, condensed into a nice half-hour nutshell.

All that was missing was "Music Box Dancer" by Frank Mills.


**Disclaimer: assertions, choice of hyphenation and spelling of certain quoted text is solely at the discretion of Time Life. Wannabe assumes no responsibility as to the veracity of such claims, nor for any grammatical idiosyncrasies

.

11 comments:

Middle Girl said...

Hot damn! 150 All-Time Favorites? What the heck did I do with that credit card?

Ahem.
I think I'll lie down now before I do something the whole *house* will regret.

sporksforall said...

I love watching infomercials. And the music ones are often good in a good way. The product ones are good in a bad way. We have a "set it and forget it" roto. It's a lie. They even tell you that on a sticker when you open the package up.

But 150 hits? That's good truth.

weese said...

sleep timer?
don't you have a sleepy timer on the tv -so you don't wake up to it in the middle of the night. you know...thats not good for your chi.

Teresa said...

Omigod, Wendy, we grew up in the same house! My mother never turned the radio off, even when she was watching TV, and so I woke every morning to country radio. May I sing Donna Fargo's "The Happiest Girl in the Whole USA" for you sometime?

'Tis true, what Sporks speaks. The first thing one will see upon removing her shiny new Showtime rotisserie from its box is a sticker reading "Do not take 'Set It and Forget It Literally.'" Excuse me, Mr. Popeil, but that's known in my kingdom as "bait and switch"!

[Musical outro]
Shine on me sunshine
Walk with me world
It's a skippedee-dooda day!
I'm the happiest girl in the whole U.S.A.

Suzanne said...

scout, you are hereby deemed the Evilest Girl in the Whole USA for planting that tune in our heads.

NOW HOW DO I MAKE IT STOP?!?
Argh!

Teresa said...

Good mornin', mornin'
Hello, sunshine
Wake up, sleepyhead
Why'd we move that bojangle clock
So far away from the bed?
Just one more minute,
That's why we moved it
One more hug or two
Do you love waking up next to me
As much as I love waking up next to you?

Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha! It shall henceforth haunt you forever.

Love, the Evilest Girl in the Whole USA

WenWhit said...

Evil. Evil I say!

And for the record, my lady and I have no fear of your other fine Virginny associates. ;p

WenWhit said...

weese -
Yes, darlin, our bedroom television is equipped with said technology. Alas, we no longer have the original remote, nor the compulsion to figure out how to make it work on the cheap ass "universal" remote.

sporksforall said...

Also remember (now that I've focused on the actual conversation) that you can't be a beacon if your light don't shine.

WenWhit said...

Aw, Sporks, I thought you were the nice one. :)

WenWhit said...

AND, I'm blaming YOU for Arroyo's failing to earn the win tonight. ;p