Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Lesson Number Two

What's that? You missed the message in Lesson Number One? Muscle cars RULE. And sometimes 'necks prevail. Since ya'll aren't too sharp at determining the main theme of a story, I'll tell ya the point of Lesson Number Two: DVR is both a blessing and a curse.

My mother, bless her heart, loves her toys. (Don't EVEN go there, she's 71 and I don't wanna think about it. STFU, Kmae!) The toys of which I speak are electronics. She's always been a gadget junky. From early model personal computers and CB radios to color copiers and atomic clocks, MotherWhit has always been quick to purchase the latest technological innovation. (Although, for some reason DSL has only recently replaced dial-up. Wtf? Ah well, better late than never!)

My point? MotherWhit is the Queen of DVR.

Like all DVR users, my mother records shows she would like to see when she cannot be home. Like many DVR users, she will also record one show while watching another. I wonder, though, how many DVR users routinely back up a program every single time the viewer misses something of interest? After 9/11, if Mother happened to miss the singing of the national anthem at the start of a baseball game, she'd back up the DVR and watch it. If she, or more likely my daddy, didn't hear a clever quip or key line in whatever show, MotherWhit would back it up and replay it.

I witnessed this while home this past week during the Late Show with David Letterman. Mother wasn't paying much attention to the music act, as +44 is not exactly her preferred genre. When Dave started talking about the drummer (who totally rocked), however, MotherWhit obviously had to back it up so she could watch his one-handed (by choice, not physical disability) performance. All in all, pretty cool.

On the downside of DVR employment, though, is my mother recorded and saved one of Rachel Ray's talk show episodes that involved creating a pot from a roll of tickets.









Why is that a downside to DVR, you ask? Because that roll of tickets required a LOT of manipulation in order to resemble a pot, and I was the designated manipulator. Thanks, RR. Damned DVR.

.

13 comments:

Syd said...

You didn't....Wen? Did you?? LMAO!!

No pics of YOURS? Come on...

WenWhit said...

Mine? Oh hell no - that thang most decidedly belongs to MotherWhit. And I somehow neglected to take a pic of it. A thing of craft-crap beauty, it was.

Anonymous said...

those ticket roll pots could also be used to make some interesting lingerie...did RR talk about that?

tiff said...

No. Way.

A pot from a roll of tickets.

One watering that that thing would be TOAST.

Deb said...

My mother is 70 years old, and she can't even figure out how to use her caller id still! But she can master a martini really well. You're fortunate!

sporksforall said...

I'm in total agreement that MotherWhit's gadget functionality is an enviable thing. I spend a lot of time staring at the ceiling trying to remember what steps to talk my Dad through in some Windows operation or another.

I gotta agree with syd, it's a crime to deny us pictures of the craft-crap beauty.

WenWhit said...

RR didn't mention that Lee, but the potential is obvious. ;p

The damned things aren't even good for plants, Tiff - hence the pic of candy bars.

Those are the only pics ya'll are getting, damnit.

Suzanne said...

Um hun? You gonna make one of those for our house? tee hee

SassyFemme said...

A ticket pot??? Oh my. That's cool that your mom is so up to date with gadgets. As for the DVR to backup and watch live TV, yeah, Fran does it all the time. Drives me crazy.

LeLo said...

Hit some water on that ticket pot and it's toast. You're such a good daughter!

Anonymous said...

Like we all have ticket rolls just waiting to be made into something practical. Problem solved. Thanks Wen.

KMae said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
hehehe.
snarf!

Teresa said...

As someone who goes through life not paying much attention, I wish I could use my DVR remote to back up any old thing I miss. In fact, I'm often only half-listening to NPR on the way home from work, and when something picques my interest I frequently reach for the stereo controls as if I can back it up. And how awesome would it be if you were having an argument with someone about something that was or was not said and you could simply call a time-out and visit the control booth for a replay?