Wednesday, July 05, 2006

There's Always Tomorrow?

Although I enjoy the administrative responsibilities of my job, this is always a taxing time of year. In addition to starting new "consumers" and preparing for an anticipated licensing visit, June 30th marked the end of our fiscal year. In my world, this means cracking the whip to make sure all of my staff have all of their FY06 paperwork (billing reports, monthly reports, case notes, expense reports, productivity records, etc.) complete, while somehow managing my own documentation responsibilities - most notably writing ten performance evaluations and creating new FY07 electronic "cases" in our piece-of-shit database. Oh yeah, there's also the lingering issue of arranging caseload coverage when two of my staff pop their little buns out of their no-longer-so-little ovens.

Today was my first day back at work following a four-day holiday weekend full of shed-building excitement. Actually, I took leave for Monday in order to gain the four-day weekend; my agency only observes the actual date of Independence Day as a paid holiday. I took the extra day off gladly despite knowing how much work is due by the end of next week. I told myself I'd really start crunching through everything today.

I forgot our Administrative Assistant was planning to come to the office today to do billing, even though she is still technically on maternity leave. She delivered her baby girl on June 11th. Little Kylie put in 7 hours at the office today.


Now really, how was I supposed to get any work done?

.

14 comments:

Middle Girl said...

Month-end, FY end, I feeeel your pain. To make matters incredibly worse I'm playing host to a state official conducting a sales & use tax audit-smarmy little fellow is the biggest pain in the ... anyway-cutie pie--you're entitled to a cuddle break--it should be in the contract.

sporksforall said...

It's just mean to make you do year end budget stuff and performance reviews at the same time. Mean mean mean. The great state of California lets me do the two things a whole month apart. Make for more baby cuddling time. Or blog commenting time. Or fantasy baseball obsessing time.

WenWhit said...

I'll wait for The Boy to make me a grandma, eb.

T O D - hang in there.

Lucky you, Dr. Sporks. :)

Suzanne said...

There is always tomorrow, my love. Take time out to hold those babies as often as you can. You look positively pleased with her in your arms.

I still think you should have pinched her. How could you resist pinching her? Such restraint.

maxine said...

Think of tomorrow as next weekend...cocktails...debauchery...food, fun and friends. It will get you through the darkest of hours, darling.

xo

weese said...

i just love babies. love holding them, and rocking them, and telling them little stories.
luckily i am past the 'wanting more babies of our own phase'
and like you - we eagerly await grandchildren.
(debauchery - there will be debauchery..ooo )

maxine said...

Ypu need to ask??

Teresa said...

Babies in the office are as good for productivity as litters of kittens and puppies. More babies, kittens, and puppies in the workplace!

Suzanne said...

mmmmmmm.... cocktails!
mmmmmmm.... debauchery!
mmmmmmm.... food!
mmmmmmm.... friends!

I am so looking forward to that weekend, but not necessarily in that order. :)

WenWhit said...

I'm not sure how fantasizing about future debauchery is supposed to help me be productive, but I am SO looking forward to that weekend.

As candidate Bailey would say: Yee freaky deaky haw, ya'll.

WenWhit said...

You're right, I took the liberty of adding "ya'll."

KMae said...

Well, Y'all are a riot!

And you a very pretty Wendy.

Taradharma said...

that look on yer face sez it all, y'all!

did she have the wunnerful new baby smell? not the dooky smell, silly, that smell on the top of their head. No, not the cradle cap smell, either! No, not the spit up smell, c'mon, work with me here....

WenWhit said...

lol TDharma. Yeah, I know what you mean, and yeah, she did. I spent hours with that kid just soaking it all in. :)