Friday, March 09, 2007

Hermit at Heart

On the phone with the Missus, stuck in traffic:
Wen: Traffic sucks. I'm going to be late... again.
Suz: [insert kind words of sympathy] So... you'd be pleased to know I turned down a dinner invitation tonight from our neighbor?
Wen: Oh HELL yes. Thank you.
Suz: [pause] But I gave him a "maybe" for tomorrow night.
Wen: [much swearing and bitching]
Suz: C'mon, it'll be fun. We'll go out, eat some good food...
Wen: I'm fine with going out to eat. Let's go. You and me.
Suz: [whine] He invited us to dinner.
Wen: [more cursing]
Suz: You sound like such a curmudgeon.
Wen: I FEEL like a curmudgeon, damnit.
Suz: Then do it for me.
And that's the bottom line. Of course I'll go. And I won't even bitch about it anymore much more. It's a small enough thing to do to bring her a little happiness.

I don't know why I feel so curmudgeonly about socialization. Our neighbor is very nice, easy enough to talk to, and a decent friend. It's not about him. Or Suz. It's certainly not an aversion to eating! It's me wanting to play hermit. I'd make a damned fine hermit, I would.

And yes, Zanne, I will almost certainly employ the same vehicle de extroversion that worked so effectively in Connecticut. Fortunately, I don't expect cameras to be present to document my state this time around. :)

.

7 comments:

SassyFemme said...

Just don't be drawing anatomy parts or writing nasty words in the snow (or mud) ;)

SassyFemme said...

BTW, Fran's much like you re: socialization until I actually get her out and to our destination.

Lee said...

luckily we are both hermit prone...I feel your pain...want that 12 pack back you spotted me earlier in the week?

WenWhit said...

I won't write words unless someone spills the salt. Fair enough?

I'm good for tonight, Lee... but it's good to know you've got my back. :)

Unknown said...

i am so the same way ... when i get a social invite i hate the thought in prospect ... always have a good time, but can't wait to get home to my four walls again ... all i need now is another hermit to live with :>

weese said...

hermit? wendy a hermit?

Zanne said...

You go girl! I'll never give away the secret! ;)