Friday, March 16, 2007

Sometimes Bad is Bad

I get a lot of unsolicited feedback, both joking and judgmental, about my love affair with salt. Mmm, salt. Crystalline nectar of the Gods. In case this is news to you, I adore salt. I apply it liberally and frequently to a multitude of foods.


Yes, I'm aware that, like most addictions, this is not healthy. To date, however, my blood pressure is fine. When and if that should change, I suppose I'll have to consider cutting back. (I actually have an experience in salt deprivation, but that's another story for another time...)

Those that know me well have long since abandoned efforts to reform me. A delightful few have even gone so far as to bestow salt-oriented gifts: fancy french sea salt crystals, an engraved salt shaker, The Book of Salt, a salt-and-garlic grinder, a beautiful chunk of salt crystal from Salt Lake City... Yes, my friends, salt equals love in the WenWhit Lexicon. (Suzanne's devotion is evidenced in her tolerance of the three additional salt shakers I keep strategically located near my habitual berths throughout the house.)

The bottom line: salt is good.Except when it isn't.

I'm not referring to my health. I'm talking about this:








That's what my beloved little Baja looks like after a few days of commuting post-snow-salting. I KNOW the salt and sand is necessary, but trust me folks, it's a necessary evil. You Yanks know what I'm talking about. The salt so liberally spread on the roadways to defeat snow and ice makes one HELL of a mess.

In case you were wondering, my car is black.

Or it was.






11 comments:

KMae said...

Yeah, mine looks like that too, it is trecherous out. Salt on the roads, excellent...
In food, not so much.
Blows me up, like I need more of that with cabin pressure.

SassyFemme said...

I'm expecting ours to look like that by the end of the weekend, too.

I don't use much salt, except on corn products; corn on the cob, corn niblets, corn tortilla chips - then I use a TON of it, which annoys Fran!

maxine said...

My car is currently yellow. Not blue. Pollen is as evil as that type salt, IMO.

sporksforall said...

Your salting of food (the intensity, the care, the measuring) is charming.

The salting of your car is wrong. Maxine is right, pollen is also bad. I'm guess you get both there in your land. Lucky you! Or not.

Syd said...

Is that a lick mark on the door?

Teresa said...

I'm with Sporks. I enjoy the careful intensity with which you apply just the right amount of salt to various foods; like a scientist in her lab, you are.

Those folks who salt your roadways, they have no such discernment—they just pour it on like there's no art to it.

Weese is feeding her mice low-sodium saltines.

Anonymous said...

I had to shoo deer away from my truck it was so damn salty...

I'm not a big fan of salt. I'm probably the antithesis of your salt-loving ways. I always get the "crazy" look at the store when I ask if there are any unsalted peanuts...

weese said...

ooo the horror of it!

(and Max has a point...pollen week sucks - tho ours comes much later than theirs)

as for my mice... they are so well cared for. this should be no surprise in my house.

WenWhit said...

I agree pollen sucks... but at least it won't corrode my car!

Unsalted peanuts are an abomination.

I'm a charming, discerning salt fiend? Cool. ;P

Unknown said...

That is something I do not miss about the East Coast! All the sand, salt, and scraping of windows to get the snow off! At some point you just succome to knowing that once/year your black car will be many shades of white.

Me. Here. Right now. said...

I was amazed when I moved to California - cars had no rust - unless they were parked in an ocean town - and no salt on the roads ever - 30 year old cars looked new. Hope Spring comes for your Baja soon.