Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Of Literature

Or more specifically, of John Irving. Many years ago, I lived with a psychotic bitch woman who purported to adore Mr. Irving's writing. Being the accommodating soul that I am, I endeavored to read A Son of the Circus. I didn't care for it. Correction: I fucking HATED it. In fact, it was the one of the very few books I started and never finished (something I've become better at, but still struggle with). Based upon that experience, I subconsciously wrote off Mr. Irving's scribblings as any form of desired reading.

Last night, Suzanne and I watched "The Cider House Rules" on Bravo. After IMDbing the movie to discover who wrote the book, I naturally sniggered that Mr. Irving elected to name the main characters Wilbur and Homer. God, what a lame writer, I thought. The movie, and presumably Mr. Irving's book, cover abortion, adoption, infidelity, and incest.

The movie (and therefore presumably the book?) actually captured my attention. In my opinion, Tobey McGuire was far better in this movie than as Spider-Man. And what's not to like about Charlize Theron? (Well, aside from the blond hair, that is ;p). I watched every moment of the movie, despite the ridiculously frequent and lengthy commercial breaks. Despite the uncomfortable subject matters. Despite my continuing concerns that the outcome would ultimately suck because it was, after all, based upon a novel of John Irving.

I was wrong.

And just FYI, whilst perusing the various Google hits for Mr. Irving, I discovered he is also the author behind such theatrical (and, again presumably, literary) successes as The World According to Garp and A Prayer for Owen Meany.

I figure I owe him that much of a nod. As for reading those books, well, the jury's still out.

.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a crazy ex that was a huge Irving fan...Garp was sort of like the Bible to her, LOL

Anonymous said...

If there is a bear in the story, it's probably by Irving.

Anonymous said...

The Cider House Rules is one of the few books I started and couldn't / didn't finish-rare for me. Even if I hate it-I muscle through it.

Sometimes it's about timing and/or whatever the hell else is going on around you (me).

Anonymous said...

A Prayer for Owen Meany is Irving's best book by far. I've read it several times over the past many years. I can't hardly stand any of his other books.

Beth
bethmauldin.com

tiff said...

Garp was tough, yet I read it all the way through....Irving attacks some tough issues, that much is for sure. Sometimes, though, the telling of the story is easier to take in cinematic form - look at Shakespeare and how hard it is to read yet how easy it is to watch. Irving is the same way for me.

Anonymous said...

Love John Irving. The book was better than the movie.

Bent Fabric said...

On the recommendation of a friend I gave The Cider House Rules a shot. I didn't come close to finishing it but I suspect that is more a commentary on my lack of follow through than the quality (or lack thereof) of the book.

sporksforall said...

I can really hate Irving and really like him a little later (a feeling I also bestow upon Anne Tyler). I liked Garp, Hotel New Hampshire and Cider House. I hated Owen Meany and some of the early novels.

Widow for One Year was amazing--one of the best books I've read in the last five years or so.

As to the movies? Cider House is the best of them (to me) and the book is better.

He does have bad character names, though doesn't he?

Teresa said...

I adore a woman who loves and hates with equal fervor.

Val said...

I love John Irving... Garp is awesom... movie didn't quite come off as good. But they never do. Loved Owen Meany... weird characters - -that's John Irving. But entertaining, none-the-less!

happy new year!

Anonymous said...

LMAO! What is it with ex's and Irving? That said, my Irving-loving ex was not and is not psycho (thank god!). I do enjoy Irving as a writer, and have enjoyed him since high school. Count me among those who loved Garp. And, the movie is one of the few adaptations of a novel that stands well on its own as a film (obviously, there is a variation of opinion here ... LOL).

Cider House is in that same category.

Anyway, and in parting, life is too short to limit ones reading experiences because of a psycho-ex. Good for you, Wen! VERY good for you, I think.

Anonymous said...

A Prayer for Owen Meany is one of the best books i ever read. And, I never read anything else by Irving.