Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Playing with Dolls

Okay... maybe this isn't news to some of you (hi, Sassy!), but I haven't paid much attention to Barbie in the last thirty years or so. I had heard of the existence of an African American Barbie, but I either never saw or never absorbed the actual product:


Um, she's supposed to be black? Funny, she kinda reminds me of this Hawaiian chick from Season 3 of American Idol (2004).


And then there's this Barbie, apparently named the Barbie My Scene Bling Bling Styling Head. (Yeah, there's an "African American" version of her, too, named Madison. I'm not sure who she reminds me of.) Yeah, kinda skanky. Yeah, kinda hot... but awfully femmy.

I can totally see both of them telling Ken to "step off," so they can hook up with the dyke doll. Niiiice.

.

9 comments:

Syd said...

I'm laughing so GD hard, I'm gonna have to come back later and comment.

hahahahaha

Anonymous said...

I had to pick up one of the little whore dolls (marketed under the name "Bratz") yesterday for one of my mom's little surrogate grandchildren. I was embarrassed to buy it.

I was quite surprised that it didn't come with little track marks and meth-related skin issues.

I almost wanted to get a tetanus shot just from looking at the damn thing.

Middle Girl said...

My daughter always chopped the hair off her Barbie(s).

How could she know?

I think you're on to something with the Barbie/Dyke luv connection. Get ready for your close-up. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I shudder to think how different my life might have been had I gotten my hands on a Dyke Doll back in the day.

whispers said...

the dyke doll should be marketed a bit more.

the rest of them should find the landfill.

sporksforall said...

There's a good article about Bratz and the Bling Bling Barbie phenomenon in last week's New Yorker.

Thus endeth the pretentious moment. It was a good article, though. Dyke doll was not mentioned.

SassyFemme said...

You are the absolute last person, well second to last - Syd being the absolute last - that I'd ever expect to have a post on dolls.

Never saw the the dyke doll before, but funny. Many years ago (centuries in online time) I was at a get together of about 50+ lesbians from AOL. We took a Barbie and butched her up, and then made another S/M Barbie. Dang, should have marketed those suckers!

Suzanne said...

My Ken was such a pussy.
I adored my Barbies.
They didn't wear flowers in their hair.

KMae said...

I never liked the Barbies - or any other dolls as a kid, they seemed so stupid, I wanted to be around REAL babies...

It wasn't until my 30's & getting in touch with my "inner child" thru Survivors of Incest Anonymous (SIA) that I fianlly started buying dolls & stuffed animals. But not Barbies.